Where’s the Owner’s Manual?!
What parent hasn’t wished for the manual that goes with her child?
We can’t promise that, but we designed this book to help you develop your very own Comprehensive Guide to Your Kid.
You won’t need to read the whole thing! The checklists in Section One will guide you to the chapters you need to read. Each chapter is written by an expert in that field.
Table of Contents
Section I: Getting Started
Chapter 1: CJ’s Story
Chapter 2: How to Use This Book and Master Checklists
Chapter 3: Evaluations: Who Does What?
Section II: Disorders and Challenges
Each chapter on disorders contains information on:
- Basic symptoms to recognize
- What exactly is happening in the brain (as much as is known)
- Causes, as much as is known
- Who assesses, who treats?
- Complementary and alternative approaches
- Common misdiagnoses and exacerbating co-conditions
Chapter 4: Attention Problems and AD/HD
Chapter 5: Speech and Language Issues
Chapter 5.1: Auditory Processing Disorder
Chapter 6: Dyslexia and Other Reading Disabilities
Chapter 7: Sensory Processing Disorder
Chapter 7.1: Vision Disorder Issues
Chapter 7.2: Equine-Assisted Therapy
Chapter 8: Autism Spectrum Disorders
Chapter 9: Concussions
Chapter 10: Other Learning Disabilities
- Math Disability (Dyscalculia)
- Writing Disability (Dysgraphia)
- Non-Verbal Learning Disorder
- Other Motor Disabilities
- Twice Exceptional
- Executive Function Disorders
- The Complex Child
Chapter 11: Emotional and Behavioral Issues
Chapter 12: Social Skills Issues
Each chapter in Section III and IV contains:
- Information on the background and philosophy of each modality
- Discussion of how each modality views the human nervous system, brain, and overall health, plus how it impacts learning and behavioral challenges
- How to find practitioners and what to ask them
Section III: Digging Deep: Broader Solutions
Chapter 13: Psychiatry and Functional Medicine Psychiatry
Chapter 14: Biomedical Approaches
Chapter 15: Nutritional Approaches
Section IV: Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM)
Chapter 16: Introduction to CAM
- LEAP (Learning Enhancement Acupressure Program)
- Chiropractic Neurology
- Craniosacral Therapy
Section V: Moving Forward
This section gives tips and information to help you navigate school and life as you and your child find your way.
Chapter 17: Advocacy in the School System
Chapter 18: Care Management: Organize, Prioritize, Lead
Epilogue: Don’t Lose Sight of Your Child
Join Our Newsletter
Join our newsletter for blog posts, practitioner interviews, latest research, in-depth discussion of relevant topics, parenting tips and more!